With autumn on us, online DIY & gardening giant manomano.co.uk have come up with your go-to list of essential garden jobs for October. Make the most of the light evenings to prepare your garden for the cooler months ahead.
Here is your guide to the essential garden jobs for October.
1. Keep your garden clean As the golden leaves start to fall this autumn, think about moving them into a compost bin or a composter. Not only will this keep your garden clean, it will save you valuable space in your bin over winter and save you money by providing you with DIY fertiliser. If you have a lot of organic garden waste, try a worm factory compost to speed up the break down process!
2. Revive your lawn Believe it or not, autumn is the perfect time to grow a new lawn. Revive your lawn by adding to your existing grass if it has become patchy, or renew it with a whole new turf. Any effort you put in now will result in a ﬂourishing, soft spring lawn next year!
3. Protect your plants It’s easy overlook them but, with the cold, wet months coming up, you’ll need to protect your potted plants from becoming waterlogged. A simple and cheap solution is to add pot feet to your existing pots. Otherwise, if you’re looking for something more cost effective, you can just prop your pot up on some bricks or wood. The most important thing is that the water can drain out properly!
4. Tidy your baskets We’ve got another use for your compost bin. While you’re tidying the rest of your garden, don’t forget your hanging baskets and container plants! If you take good care of them, through feeding and pruning, these robust plants should still bloom for a while during the winter months. Check out this thermometer, garden clock AND planter for only £30….
5. Plan ahead for next spring Now is the ideal time to start planting the tress and shrubs that you would love to see in your garden in the spring. By planting them in September, their roots will be established enough during these ﬁnal mild months so that they can thrive in spring. Use that homemade compost that you made during winter in the spring to boost your garden!
To be in with the chance of winning an Einhell Twin Drill Pack from Mano Mano worth £150, enter this amazing Home and Garden themed Telegraph competition.
For more information on ManoMano, please visit www.manomano.co.uk.